A Message from a Monarch Butterfly

 

Dear You, 

Everything about my life as a caterpillar is focused on acquisition. I must get enough food to fuel my coming transformation. It takes a while to get there but at the right time I trundle off, seeking sanctuary where I can spin a little silken pad to keep me stable while the storm of metamorphosis rages within that tiny chrysalis, also called a pupa by scientists. 

Most of the time we hang upside down but sometimes we nestle in the crook of a tree. At the time this photo was taken, I’ve tucked myself under a pool cleaning tool. In the first few stages the chrysalis is the brightest green on the outside while inside I’m changing from the inside out. It might look like icky slime but it is everything necessary to change into what I will become. 

The whole threshold lasts around two weeks. From my old form I morph the material that will form my monarch self. I am about half the weight I was. Transformation takes a lot of energy!  On the outside you’ll notice bands circling the chrysalis that sparkle and look like gold threads. The brilliant silk and chartreuse turns to shades of viridian over the coming days until I stabilize the formation of my new body and magnificent wings. For the practical and curious among you, yes, I do eliminate body waste in this threshold time. Even that serves a purpose and is eliminated after I dry off out of the chrysalis. For the six-year-olds among you my poop dries up after I leave the pupa! 

Just before I’m ready to leave my silken sanctuary, the outside appears to have gone completely dark. Upon closer examination it is seen that the pupa has become a thin translucent temporary temple showing off the beauty of my patterned wings. I build strength as I stretch to break free. With a final push I emerge through the thin wall. I am unable to fly right away. I need a little time to unfurl and dry my wings and body. After that short time, I am able to fly. 

Thank you for noticing. You, gardener, are a friend to the monarchs. I will do many flybys and tip my wings to you. Thank you for helping me on my journey to my most important work on the planet, pollinating. After experiencing my own transformation, I help other growing things transform.

With gratitude for your partnership,

  

The Monarch Butterfly

__________

Visit my partner in inspiration; AppliedInsight.net

#LiveWithIntention

#CourageDoesn'tAlwaysRoar


Comments